Monday, June 15, 2009

The Economy and Yarn


It's happening. Funds for yarn are becoming scarce. Last weekend I went to the Hoosier Hills Fiberarts Festival and could not get nearly as much as I wanted. What to do to keep the hands busy?

In my workroom are drawers, cabinets, and baskets full of leftover yarn from other projects. There isn't enough of one color to make anything substantial, but too much (or too expensive) to throw awway. So I put on my creative-thinking knit hat and came up with some ideas. The picture is of CD/DVD coasters. This project used up all my size 10 crochet thread.

First, glue felt to the printed side of the old CD. The next step is to crochet two small doilies. Finally, crochet the doiles together, slipping in the CD before closing. Easy Peasy!

Now I have fifty coasters to use around the house and give as gifts.

My next project is with the yarn I purchased at the fiberarts festival. This will give me time to think of something to do with the drawer full of partial balls of worsted weight yarn.


What I am reading:

The Scarlett Letter, by Nathaniel Hawthorne, from the podcast, CraftLit.
Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe, from the podcast, Forgotten Classics
David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens, from Librivox
The Little House Books, by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I have joined a group on Ravelry that is reading these books while doing related projects. There hasn't been time to do the projects, but reading these books are like visiting an old friend.

No comments: