Saturday, September 27, 2008

Slippers Anyone?



50’s Style Slipper, designed by Marion Kelley, Annie’s Favorite Quick & Easy Projects

I have never been one for swatching, but this project convinced me how important it is to take that first step to any project. How fun it was to find out that different combinations of yarn and hook would produce different sizes of slippers!

My stitches tend to be a little tight when I crochet, so I automatically go up a hook size. Now I find out that sometimes the yarn can also make a difference in stitch gauge. All the yarn I used came from my stash (good way to use up some yarn) and all yarn is worsted weight. Red Heart Classic produced the largest slipper, using a J aluminum hook. Plymouth Encore Worsted produced the smallest slipper, using an H aluminum hook. However, for the other slippers made from the Plymouth yarn, I got a good mid-size using a size J aluminum hook for the foot and a size H aluminum hook for the flaps. I seemed to hit the middle road on all the other yarns by using a size H wood hook for the slipper foot, and a size H aluminum hook for the flaps. Hmmm…do I crochet looser with a wood hook? By the way, the pattern calls for a size F hook. I didn’t even try that!

What am I going to do with ten pairs of slippers? One pair I’ll save to enter at the county fair next summer. The others, like everything else I make, will be given away. I know people with all sizes of feet, so I am sure I can find a pair to fit at least eight of my loved ones. Personally, I’ll probably keep the purple and black one for myself. It’s stretches nicely and fits my foot like a glove. My hubby won’t have to worry about my cold toes this winter!

My next project is also going to use up some stash and will take me back to my first crochet projects – crochet outfits for Barbie. I can’t wait to get started – after making a swatch, of course.

No comments: