Sunday, January 24, 2010

Pretty Vest


Aleita Shell, designed by Bonne Marie Burns, Interweave Knits Spring 2008

Yarn: Knit Picks Shine Sport, Serano


I love this pattern! The body is knitted in the round and the shoulders are the only seams. So easy and quick to make.


There aren’t many changes I would make.


1) I would take out the waist shaping. The shell looks alright on, but at my age I just don’t have a waist to shape a sweater to.


2) I would make it longer. My belly, which has been pregnant a few times, has a tendency to hang out with these short sweaters. Wearing something underneath helps, but I feel sloppy having my shirt tail out. That feeling I am sure is a result of upbringing.


3) I would use a different yarn. Knit Picks has always been my yarn of choice, but this time I was a little disappointed. They yarn had knots and splices all through it – all six skeins. I do love the color and I’m not giving up on Knit Picks; I will probably just not use Shine for a sweater.


My next project is a pair of socks. I tried an intricate lace and cable toe-up sock pattern that just didn’t work for me. The foot fit wonderfully so I went ahead and knit the heel and halfway up the leg. When I tried the sock on again, I couldn’t get it over my ankle. I’m sure I did something wrong as this is my second attempt at the toe-up socks. My first pair was also tight but wearable. Last night was spent frogging then casting on for traditional cuff-down socks. I’ll try toe-up again when I can find a class.

Go Colts!

No comments: