Sunday, September 26, 2010

Week 21 Challenge


#60 Doubles
63 Easy-To-Crochet Pattern Stitches Combine To Make An Heirloom Afghan
Leisure Arts

I haven't quite finished Ulysses, but since this is the last post for the month, I'll give you my thoughts.

Yes, I do "get it". What I don't know is why this book was written. It's all over the place. We have Stephen, my favorite character, who is the philosopher. Then there is Bloom who, to me, is just a dirty old man. I am now reading the part where they have both met and are drinking coffee. Well, Bloom wants Stephen to drink the coffee.

The writing is pure genius--words and phrases really make the reader think. My favorite from this past week is from Stephen:

In this country people sell much more than she ever had and do a roaring trade. Fear not them that sell the body but have not the power to buy the soul. She is a bad merchant. She buys dear and sell cheap. (542)

Stephen and Bloom have spotted a prostitute looking in the window of the coffee shop. It's obvious that Stephen is referring to the prostitute, but is he also referring to Ireland? The book does get a little political at this point.

I have struggled with this book, but I don't regret reading it.

Joyce, James. Ulysses. Wordsworth Classics.

Vortex, designed by Chrissy Gardiner
Toe-Up! Pattern and Worksheets to Whip Your Sock Knitting Into Shape
Sydwillow Press

I love these socks! I love this book! I tried toe-up socks before and I just couldn't get it to work and they didn't fit. I was so upset that the socks ended up in the trash. This book takes you through the whole process with step by step instructions with pictures. Gardiner gives several options for starting the toe, how to knit the heel, and casting off so the cuff stretches. The patterns in the book are great and there are worksheets in the back to plan your own socks.

Next month is The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and a knitted cloche.

Have a good week!


No comments: