Monday, September 6, 2010

Week 18 Challenge

#46 Palm Leaves
from 63 Easy-To-Crochet Pattern Stitches Combine to Make An Heirloom Afghan,
Leisure Arts.

This is a nice stitch. Two rows of the afghan are completed; eighteen block done, 45 block to go. At this rate, I'll be finished by next summer.

The sock blankie is still coming along nicely--slow, but nicely. It's hard to get bored when each block is knit with a different yarn, I'm just having difficulty finding the time.

As promised, here is the finish of the KAL/RAL. First the RAL.

The book we read for the "-along" was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. There has been a lot of publicity about Larsson's books. I have even read an article comparing this series with the Twilight series of books. I don't see it... This book is well written, contemporary, and a good read. However, it is not my type of book. When I read for pleasure, I like to escape to another world, another place, another time. Maybe that's why I like to read Jane Austen and science fiction (what a combination). I really don't like to have today's headlines--computer hackers, domestic violence, and serial sex crimes--thrown back at me after hearing and watching that stuff on radio and television. It makes it difficult to sleep at night. If you like contemporary crime solving books, then The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is perfect. As for me, I'll stick with Sherlock Holmes.


The knit-along was a sock pattern, Karira designed by Shannon Okey and Margaret Ruble. My socks were knitted with Knit Picks Stroll in Granny Smith. To me, this sock's lace pattern resembles little dragon flies in the front with dragon scales down the back. One thing I did find out is that knitting an intricate lace pattern while watching Paul Newman movies is not a good idea. There is more than one error in this pair of socks.

The group is going to continue the KAL/RAL with Larsson's other books. Will I join? Probably not. Maybe I can have my own KAL/RAL with books I enjoy!

Happy Labor Day/End of Summer!

No comments: