Monday, June 20, 2011

Week 59 Challenge

#31 Check Stitch
63 Easy to Crochet Pattern Stitches Combine to Make an Heirloom Afghan
Leisure Arts

This is an interesting stitch and very easy to do. I can see it in just about anything depending on the type of yarn used. A soft cotton would make a nice face cloth; wool would make a nice lacy cardigan or shrug; and a sock yarn would make a nice scarf.

Four more to go! I still haven't decided which challenge to take up. It could be my challenge will be to just get some projects complete. That could take some time.

Projects in Progress
99 Snowflakes
Leisure Arts

After struggling with commercial made fabric stiffener, I came up with an old standby--a bottle of starch. Using a glass measuring cup, measure around 1-1/2 cups of starch with 1/2 cup of water. Put the snowflake (or doily) in the cup and let it soak for a few minutes. When taking it out, don't squeeze out all the liquid. The more liquid, the stiffer the snowflake will be. Lay the snowflake out on a blocking board and pin. I use a clear plastic ruler to make sure all points are the same length. When finished, the ruler just needs a wipe with a cloth. It may take longer for the snowflake to dry, but the results are worth it and money saving.

Floral Wrap
Designed by Shannon Mullett-Bowlsby

I also made the shawl to wear to a crochet conference I am going to this summer. I've never been to a conference that's just about crochet, but I have been to other conferences for work. It seems those meeting rooms are always just a little bit more than chilly. I'll be ready with my pretty wrap. This picture isn't very good; I'll try to get a better one up soon.

I'm still working on chemo caps. Next up must be something for my Etsy shop. It's time to get some fall and winter things up.

What I am Reading
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is finished. Is there going to be a sequel? How about a prequel? There's room for both the way the book ended.

I'm not sure what I am going to read next. Maybe it's time to give my eyes a little break and listen to a book for a little change.

Other Stuff
Not much else to report this week. Yesterday, in the United States, was Father's Day. Like Mother's Day, this is when we remember our fathers in a special way. My father died in 1987 and a day doesn't go by that I don't miss him. After all, I was Daddy's Little Girl. Ask my brothers--they'll agree.

We have had some heavy rain here today. The driving was very scary. I found myself in the middle of a flooded intersection. My little car got me through just fine, but it's not something I want to do again.

Have a good week!

No comments: