Sunday, September 18, 2011

Good New, Bad News


Mississippi River
Taken from Mill City
Minneapolis, MN


My last post I was waiting for the results of the second biopsy, the results of which leads to good news and bad news.

Bad news first; I have ductal carcinoma in situ in the right breast. The cancer is in two places and I will need a mastectomy.

The good news; the cancer is non-invasive and I shouldn't need radiation or chemo therapy.

The surgery is scheduled for September 27. I wish it were sooner. It's not that I am impatient--I just want this out of me!

Projects
I've put aside the lace top for now. It's to the point of shoulder shaping and for some reason I just can't seem to focus enough to do the math. The top can wait.

Instead I've started this lacy shawl. The pattern and yarn are from the Knit and Crochet show in Minneapolis. I love the silk yarn. My only dilemma is that I am afraid that I will run out of yarn. I bought this yarn because it was used for the pattern and the sample at the booth. I did a search on the designer to see if I could contact her, but no luck. There are a few more rows to go before the edging. Here's hoping that I can finish the shawl itself with the yarn. We have several yarn shops around here. Maybe one of them will have a silk DK weight yarn in a matching color for the edging.

What I am Reading
Life among the Lutherans is finished. This was a fun book to read; however, I didn't care much for one of the stories, "Ninety-five Theses". I know this book is about growing up Lutheran in Minnesota, but as a parent this was just not funny. It's not easy being a parent and children don't come with manuals! My favorite is still "Church Organist."

My husband found a used book store close to us and yesterday we paid a visit. It was like a treasure hunt! I found a 1956 Pocketbook edition of Ivanhoe. That copy of the book is almost as old as me, and yes I had to get it.

Right now I am reading The Third Life of Granger Copeland, by Alice Walker. I've only read the first chapter, so there is not much to report.

Other Stuff
Tomorrow is my birthday and I plan to enjoy this time as much as possible. Today I had lunch with my husband and daughter (I can't believe she is going to be twenty-nine in a few weeks). We had a wonderful visit and shared a peach cobbler for dessert. Tomorrow night after work, I'll have dinner with my husband and in-laws.

Have a good week!

No comments: